Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Homework: Brainstorm Response & Collections

   Tuesday's class was extremely beneficial towards the planning of our first project. I walked in that morning not knowing much of what direction I wanted to take. I experimented with layering and emotions and almost knew how I wanted to depict myself, but not in the "space" that I would be in. Listening to what was going through the heads of other students pushed me towards a couple ideas. I shortly decided that I would take it in a direction that I was familiar with. I love toying with surrealism in my own art as well as more abstract, experimental themes. For this specific project, I'm most definitely leaning towards the surreal direction, as it conforms so well to the requirements of this first project. I'm inspired by artists like Salvador Dali, René Magritte, and André Breton. As to the scene that I want to start with, something simple (like still water, a beach, or the woods) may work best and prove to be most malleable. The feedback I received from students (that stuck with me the most, for that matter) were to experiment with color, incorporate components that may replicate my own art, and to use objects to convey emotion. I definitely will use objects that hold a certain significance to me, though I think I may experiment with the mood of the piece a little more. I'm still unsure about where I would take this piece if I were to toy with a more mystical/fantasy scene, though the class seemed to lean towards my first idea.

   Collecting things is a very familiar thing to me. As to clutter, I have a lot of it. Certain objects, I have a lot of those too. For one, I collect different types of tea. Unfortunately, I had to leave almost half of it at home (sob)... but that doesn't mean I don't have much at school. Two boxes of Green, a box of Chai, Peppermint, Chamomile, Breakfast, some Lemon (a loose leaf tea), as well as an extra large ziplock bag of loose herbs that I mix together to create fusions and even remedies that serve medicinal purposes. I'm a big believer in natural medicine, so I have a bunch of that too. I usually collect things that I can use, like books, journals, instruments, etc. As to decorative material objects, I don't really believe that they're entirely necessary. I know people who collect crystals, wall deco, and other things that just sit. That's where I cross my line. As to the digital world and how it aids individuals and their collections, I believe that it acts like a gateway to a world of want. It's so easy to spend money electronically and sites such as etsy, amazon, and repurpose organizations make it easy to gain access to anything! For example, let's say that I wanted to add to my exquisite collection of painted seashells, but wanted at least 10 more. I would then proceed to search "painted seashells" on the etsy site, and the window of opportunity would open just a little bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment