Monday, January 23, 2017

Homework: Image Reaction/Analysis


Artist: Gregory Crewdson
Title: Untitled (The Fort), 2006

After going through some of Crewdson's work, I felt very attached to the simplistic nature of his photographic style. Though his photographs are cinematically staged, they appear as very in the moment and very real life experiences. They are beautifully simple and of subject matter that is incorporated into daily routine. The artist reaches for this look purposefully and incorporates elements to help him achieve it. I felt a connection to this photograph due to it's content and setting. I spend a large amount of my time by myself out in nature, and when I saw the figure standing by the water, I also saw myself. The fort reminded me of similar structures that my friends and I would construct during my childhood, also right by the waterside. Visually speaking, this photographs has many [intentional] aspects that make it successful. The house with the light on at the top left of the frame leads the viewers eye down the hill, to the fort, to the person, and eventually out into the water. these certain elements also provide contrast to the dark essence of their surroundings, which makes the subject matter inherently more interesting. The fog also adds to this effect. In general, the piece is clear, easy to read and interpret (along with the majority of his work), and interesting to analyze.

No comments:

Post a Comment