Monday, January 23, 2017

Homework: "My So-Called Opinions" Response

   For many reasons, this article is painfully true and very important. Zachary Fine, a junior at NYU divides his opinions into three categories, all touching on subjects regarding pluralism and indecisiveness. While the stubborn, independent side of my brain wants to take a stance and say that not all millennials are sheep, I truly believe that we are. Not just millennials either, most human beings in modern day society. Most people who interact via social media platforms, that is. We might not all be lazy and apathetic but I agree with the idea that indecision is an actual and pressing issue in the midst of (for a lack of a better term) a millennial filled bubble. The mere prevalence of pluralism has seized the opportunity for the development of a true, untouched system of beliefs. This is a concept very exclusive to young people, unlike "adults who encountered pluralism with their beliefs close at hand".  Judgement is everywhere and so easily accessible to the extremity that people are actually indecisive about making decisions regarding what they like and dislike. How are we to determine tastes in music and fashion if we care so much about what our taste means to others? Fine puts it perfectly, "I like what I like" becomes "But why do I like what I like? Should I like what I like? Do I like it because someone else wants me to like it? If so, who profits and who suffers from my liking what I like?" and finally, "I'm not sure I like what I like anymore.". The mere aspect of critiquing something as fluid as a taste in music is critiqued. Millennials will judge other millennials based off of what musical artists they enjoy. People will advocate for concepts that they may not even believe in so that others will perceive them in a positive way, or listen to artists who they don't even like so that others may judge their taste as individual and different. At the end of the day, people become afraid to voice their true opinions regarding issues that they DO care about, but instead say something that may conform to the common and expected response. 

No comments:

Post a Comment