Monday, April 3, 2017

3/30 Makeup Work / Research

The Science of Sleep: I didn't get to watch the entire film, though the clips and trailer I watched proved to catch my interest. Gondry's work is obviously a bit outdated and came off a little tacky but I understand how well he incorporated different elements of film making. Sleep and dreaming is something that I'm researching for another class so that may have also pushed my interest. I'm particularly taken by the credits in the trailer and the stop motion portion of the film, I think it's really pleasant to watch. I became intrigued with the stop motion technique ever since I saw a music video in middle school created by one of my favorite artists (which funny enough, also captures the subject of sleep).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_HXUhShhmY (Her Morning Elegance / Oren Lavie)

Research: 

Bill Viola: I had studied some of Viola's work in high school and quickly found it to my liking. His personal style feels very raw and futuristic while he creates conceptual videos with real people and real things. As an artist, he believes that 'the world inside his head is more real than the outside world'.
Valie Export: I watched "Invisible Adversaries", which details psychic disintegration, and covers one year in the life of the subject. I found it very raw and held a very exposé manner to it, as well as some of her other work. I'm not sure if it's my preferred style, but I like how straightforward each shot is with minimal editing.
Shirin Neshat: Neshat is another artist I had studied in high school, and her work is inspiring. It deals almost exclusively with relevant and controversial subject manner. Her photography is great as well.
Peter Campus: The special effects that Campus uses reminds me a lot of the tacky projects that I have created during this semester. I like it and I think it's weird to look at and I feel imbalanced watching it.
Marilyn Minter: I love how simple her subject matter is, and how it conveys complex meaning. I am also very taken with how her work conveys movement and how movement is such an essential part to each clip. It's messy and complicated yet also simple at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment