Monday, March 6, 2017

How to Ruin a Great Design

      I feel as if this is an issue that is constantly under minded and forgotten about. I do however, feel as if it's a bigger deal than it's perceived to be. I have watched countless logos develop and "modernize" over time in attempt to draw in larger crowds or identify with their organizations more, but I strongly feel as while these logos are becoming simplified and cleaner, they are losing their authenticity. A good example of this that I can really relate to, is the development of the PSU Nittany Lion mascot/logo. This is something that be immediately recognized as a Penn State affiliate, but recently it has started to change dramatically. Keep in mind that I grew up and currently live in State College, where everything and everyone holds some kind of connection to the university. It is something that our residents and students bond over, and that people can hold on to for as long as time. However, I feel as if with the new changes in the logo, the State College community has become very distant from the students and the university, creating a new atmosphere that alumni and affiliates cannot relate to. Check out an example of how the logo has changed within the last 2 years, and how impersonal it has become. 

No comments:

Post a Comment